Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Downtown, Chinatown, the Harbor and Kensington, or Why I LOVE TORONTO

Anyone who has had time to wander Toronto will understand why I will hopefully visit again.

Our hotel was right downtown and we walked everywhere. Such a beautiful city, here like some other big cities have incorporated ART into the urban landscape and it is a delight around almost every corner.

First night there we wander to the CN Tower, we think we will go up and have a cocktail. The man at the gate tells us it is only a 90 minute wait. Amy and I look at each and realize we are much to thirsty and I dislike waiting in line for anything. We say adieu to the CN Tower and head straight to the harbor, which is magnificent. We muse how wonderful it would be if Milwaukee had a waterfront like this! We stop at an Irish Pub with outside seating and marvel at the boats, people, dogs, kids and vendors. We are soon joined by Janna, who is in the city to pick up some Dulcimer CD's. We are intrigued and he is an interesting character who quickly becomes a compatriot and shows us a wonderful time and tells us about the city! We are in our element and soon 3 gentlemen at a table next to us are joining in the fun. Chaz, Steven and Mike are a hoot! Chaz is totally in jester mode and has a laughing until we cry! I do comment however that I have shoes that are older than they are and wonder why they aren't looking for more age appropriate comraderie. They love us and do not want to hear any advice. We leave them to their bottle service, vodka, and know they will make the blog.

The next morning we are ready to really do some exploring and Chinatown is a quick hop from our hotel. Always so interesting and familiar. Whether it is San Francisco, Amsterdam, Liverpool or London Chinatown is CHINATOWN. Fresh meat hanging in windows, fresh produce and vendors galore. Our real goal is Kensington so we make our way out of Chinatown and we are definitely with our compadres. Kensington is an extremely eclectic neighborhood with restaurants, bars, shops. People sit outside and there is music everywhere. We visit a few interesting stores and then we meet Carlos! He is wonderful and helps us navigate Kensington. His shop is fabulous and I find a moonstone necklace, I am ecstatic. I have been searching for just the right one for more than a year and it is perfect for this trip. Moonstone is for travelers, and I have miles to make before I am home.

Home, of course when I am on an adventure I want everyone I love to be with me, and then I realize that it is probably better to just wish they were here. I miss Guy and the kids and make a phone call. That will suffice and I feel like some more exploring.

Niagara on the Lake and the Falls are next.

No comments:

Post a Comment